• Submission deadline: 20 March 2020
• Review process: pending confirmation
• Online submission: PCS submission system
WHAT IS THE DOCTORAL CONSORTIUM?
TVX’s Doctoral Consortium (‘the DC’) is a part of the conference in Barcelona, for people studying towards PhDs (or other doctoral degrees) that are relevant to the themes of TVX. If you are a doctoral candidate who has found yourself reading or referencing work presented at TVX in the past, or if the scope of TVX makes you feel that this is a community that you would benefit from being part of, then we would love for you to apply to join us in Barcelona.
The DC is a forum for you to share your work and ideas with fellow PhD students, and with more experienced researchers in your field. You’ll get the chance to give a presentation on your work, get feedback and suggestions from a range of other people, and participate in practical group activity that will help you support each other with ideas for research approaches and having a great PhD experience. If you are successful in your application for a place in the Doctoral Consortium, you will be invited to attend the rest of TVX 2020; the world’s leading international research conference on interactive media and user research.
If you’re currently studying for a doctoral degree that includes any of the topics in the list below, then TVX would love your application to become part of the DC:
- Audience understanding (Maybe you’re researching trends in multi-platform trends, or methods to understanding quality of experience.)
- Immersive and interactive content experiences (Two screens, three screens, more screens? VR, AR or mixed-reality? 3DoF, 3DoF+, 6DoF? And the use of video in other contexts, such as healthcare or education.)
- Technologies, systems are interfaces (Are you applying AI or games engines in the world of video experiences? Or perhaps integrating social media, making recommendations, or synchronised apps?)
- Production tools and workflows (Are you studying how video’s craft processes are changing, or developing new design techniques or prototype tools?)
- Business models and marketing (If you’re investigating how industries will be transformed by changing use of video experiences, then please tell us about it at TVX.)
- Cultural and social studies (Media addition, ethics and primary, remix culture, creative kids and fandom – what is the impact of changing video experience on our society?)
- Disruptive studies and video-centric art (Please submit your design fictions, your speculative installations and your challenging engagement. We’d love to hear about them.
TVX is an inclusive, growing, interdisciplinary community, so if you aren’t sure whether the specifics of your research are in scope then (a) they probably are, and (b) please email email@example.com and the DC chairs will do our best to advise you.
HOW TO TAKE PART?
If you’ve established what your PhD research questions will be, but have still got at least a year before submission of your dissertation or thesis, then that ‘middle period’ of a PhD is a great time to benefit from a Doctoral Consortium.
Take part in the TVX DC by submitting a paper between 2-4 pages long (including references) by the 20th March 2020. The paper should be in Old SIGCHI Extended Abstracts Format. They should be well organised and structured in a way that demonstrates the links between the concepts presented. Your paper should clearly specify:
- A real world problem that relates to and motivates the PhD
- The concrete research problem(s) that the (proposed) PhD is addressing and how this fits into the bigger picture of other research that addresses the real world problem
- The aims, objectives and scope of the research
- The methods used to achieve the objectives and the proposed solution(s), including a brief description of work done so far and a tentative plan for future work
- The main contribution(s) of the research to interactive TV/media experiences and justification why the contribution will lead to a PhD
20th MARCH 2020 (12:00PM PT)
AT THE CONFERENCE
If your paper is selected for the DC, you’ll join a group of fellow doctoral students in Barcelona. The DC will take place in parallel to the Workshops that make up the opening morning of TVX. It will be facilitated by the consortium chairs and other experts from the TVX community. You’ll be able to present and share your topic with the chairs, experts and other participants in a fun and inclusive environment.
Once the main TVX conference is underway, you’ll be asked to give an ‘elevator pitch’ version of your talk to the full TVX2020 community in a plenary session, and take part in the whole conference including the social events and meal. The DC chairs will also award the author of the best DC paper with TVX2020’s Doctoral Consortium Award, to be presented as part of the conference social dinner.
AFTER THE CONFERENCE
Your paper will be published in the TVX2020 Adjunct Proceedings (archived with a DOI on FigShare).
For further details on scope, submission route or any other issues, please get in touch with the DC Chairs at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Christian Timmerer, Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt and Bitmovin (Austria) and Vinoba Vinayagamoorthy, BBC (UK)
We look forward to reading your papers. Good Luck!