TVX’s Doctoral Consortium (‘the DC’) is a half-day event in Manchester, immediately before the main conference, for people studying towards PhDs (or other doctoral degrees) that are relevant to the themes of TVX. If you are a doctoral candidate who has found yourself reading or referencing work presented at TVX in the past, or if you the scope of TVX makes you feel that this is a community that you would benefit from being part of, then we would love for you to apply to join us in Manchester.
The DC is a forum for you to share your work and ideas with fellow PhD students, and with more experienced researchers in your field. You’ll get the chance to give a presentation on your work, get feedback and suggestions from a range of other people, and participate in practical group activity that will help you support each other with ideas for research approaches and having a great PhD experience. If you are successful in your application for a place in the Doctoral Consortium, you will also get free registration for the rest of TVX2019; the world’s leading international research conference on online video and TV interaction and user research.
If you’re currently studying for a Doctoral degree that includes any of the topics in the list below, then TVX would love your application to become part of the DC:
- Audience understanding (Maybe you’re researching trends in multi-platform trends, or methods to understanding quality of experience.)
- Immersive and interactive content experiences (Two screens, three screens, more screens? VR, AR or mixed-reality? And the use of video in other contexts, such as healthcare or education.)
- Technologies, systems are interfaces (Are you applying AI or games engines in the world of video experiences? Or perhaps integrating social media, making recommendations, or synchronised apps?)
- Production tools and workflows (Are you studying how video’s craft processes are changing, or developing new design techniques or prototype tools?)
- Business models and marketing (If you’re investigating how industries will be transformed by changing use of video experiences, then please tell us about it at TVX.)
- Cultural and social studies (Media addition, ethics and primary, remix culture, creative kids and fandom – what is the impact of changing video experience on our society?)
- Disruptive studies and video-centric art (Please submit your design fictions, your speculative installations and your challenging engagement. We’d love to hear about them.
TVX is an inclusive, growing, interdisciplinary community, so if you aren’t sure whether the specifics of your research are in scope then (a) they probably are, and (b) please email firstname.lastname@example.org and the DC chairs will do our best to advise you.